HONOLULU (HI Now) - Chef Jason Peel from Nami Kaze and HDS Chief Customer Officer Elaine Fujiwara make a smile-healthy dish that is delicious and nutritious.
Hawaiian Taro Crusted Kampachi Recipe by Chef Jason Peel, Nami Kaze
- 2 each 4 oz Kampachi
- 2 oz Cooked Taro, Grated
- 2 oz Mrs Cheng’s Tofu
- Heat oil in a small pan to medium heat.
- Season fish and crust top with grated taro, press gently to help stick.
- Gently place fish in pan, away from you, taro side down.
- Cook fish until almost cooked, adjusting heat to keep from burning if necessary.
- Get taro as crispy as possible and flip with fish spatula to finish cooking.
- Cook to desired temperature.
- Remove fish to a wire rack or paper towel and allow to drain off excess oil.
- Place on top of smoked lomi tomato, top with cilantro.
- Serve with tofu OR steamed rice and chili pepper water.
Smoked Ho Farm Lomi Tomato
- 224 g or 8 oz (1 package) Ho Farm grape tomato
- 28 g or 1 oz canola oil
- 1-2 pinch yukari
- 1 Pinch black pepper
- 1-2 pinch Hawaiian salt
- 4 g or 1 tsp. ume paste
- 1 pinch finely minced ginger
- Minced Thai chili (as desired)
- 9 g or 2 tsp. garlic oil
- 1 pinch scallion, fine rounds
- 1 pinch finely minced shiso
- ½ tsp soy (optional)
- Using a torch, with tomatoes on a pan, torch the skins of the tomatoes until separated from the skin and slightly dark.
- Season with garlic oil, yukari, black pepper and Hawaiian salt.
- Smoke for 30 minutes at 225 then cool OR allow to marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Add ginger, shiso, Thai chili, scallion and shiso to tomatoes with the liquid in the pan.
- Check seasoning and adjust to taste.
For more information, visit HawaiiDentalService.com
Copyright 2023 KHNL. All rights reserved.