Try making this simple ulu recipe at home!
Sponsored by Hawaii State Department of Agriculture
Whether you already love ulu, or are new to the Hawaiian super food, here’s your chance to cook with it at home! HI Now host Kanoe Gibson is in the kitchen with Chef Kevin Carvalho from Dean & DeLuca to learn about the crop’s nutritional benefits and where to find it. He’s using Hawaii Ulu Cooperative’s recipe ready ulu that comes in 12 oz. freezer packs you can use in your own dishes.
Recipe: Herb Crusted Ulu with Ulu Vadouvan & Pickled Mango Chutney
Herb Crusted Ulu:
– Ulu (pre-cooked / Peeled) – 6 oz
– Panko – 1 cup
– Parsley (or any green herbs) Finely Chopped – ½ cup
– Egg, Beaten – 2 each
– Flour – 1 cup
– Salt – 1 tablespoon
– Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Remove the pre-cooked Ulu from the bag and square of all sides. Keep all the scrap end cuts and put them aside for the Vadouvan recipe.
- Mix together the flour and salt, and separately mix together the panko and finely chopped herbs.
- In separate bowls, place the eggs, flour mix, and panko herb mix.
- First place the squared Ulu into the flour mix and coat well. Dust excess flour off and place the ulu into the egg, fully coat. Drip off all the excess egg and place into the panko mix.
- Transfer the now crusted Ulu to the refrigerator and chill for one hour. (This will allow the coating to harden and make it easier to cook)
- In a medium sized pan, heat the oil on medium low heat.
- Place the Crusted Ulu into the oil and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove the cooked Ulu and let cool. Slice to desired size.
– Scrap cuts of Ulu (chopped) – 2cups
– Shallots (minced) – ½ cup
– Vadouvan Spices – ½ cup
– Coconut Milk – 3 cups
– Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- In a blender, blend shallots, Vadouvan, and ulu until smooth.
- Transfer the mix to a sauté pan and cook on low to remove any water content. (This will intensify the flavors)
- Once cooked through (about 15 minutes), add the mix to a flat sheet pan and place in the oven at 200 degrees for 40 minuets.
- Once the mix is dehydrated, add it back to the blender and add the Coconut Milk and Sugar. Blend well.
- Remove from the blender and chill.
Pickled Mango Chutney:
– Haden Mango (small diced) – 1cup
– Granulated Sugar – 1/4cup
– Li Hing Mui (powder) – 1/2tsp
– Lemon Juice – 1tsp
– Paprika – 1/2tsp
– Rice Wine Vinegar – 1tbs
In a small heavy bottom pot, add all the ingredients and bring to a high simmer and stir occasionally. Cook for 10 minutes or until the mango has become translucent. Remove from the heat and cool down using an ice bath. (place product into a small container and submerge that container in a larger container with ice)
To learn more about how you can get the Hawaii Seal of Quality on your products, get more information here: sealofquality.hawaii.gov
For more information: eatbreadfruit.com, or on Facebook and Instagram: @hawaiiulucoop