Add some Hawaii-made spices to your next dish!
Sponsored by Hawaii State Department of Agriculture
Spices and herbs are often the secret ingredient behind many dishes. HI Now host Kainoa Carlson is in the kitchen with herbalist Monika Tournis from Herbologie Tea & Spice to see how you can use Turmeric in a colorful and healthy salad recipe.
Not only is Tournis’ Turmeric Spiced Chickpea Salad beautiful, but it’s also delicious! She says the salad is also perfect for potlucks because it doesn’t spoil easily. It’s even great to serve at home as a side dish.
Recipe: Turmeric Spiced Chickpea Salad
4 servings – Preparation time 20 minutes
1 can chickpea can (16 oz)
½ onion chopped
1 small cucumber chopped and seeds removed
2 small tomatoes or 1 large one
4 broccoli florets – or broccolini if you can find it
1 Tablespoon of Lemon juice – juice of about ½ lemon
¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
1 Tablespoon Virgin Olive Oil
½ Teaspoon Hawaiian sea salt
½ Tsp paprika
¼ Tsp Herbologie Roasted Garama Masala
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ Teaspoon Herbologie Red Turmeric powder
1) Rinse all the vegetables clean and dry
2) Chop or dice onion
3) Slice Cucumber into half and remove seeds. Then chop into small cubes
4) Slice tomato into quarters and remove seeds, then chop into cubes
5) Chop cilantro into small cuts
6) Slice broccoli flowers lengthwise into ½ inch cuts of flowers
7) Drain the chickpeas in a colander and rinse with cold water
8) Add chickpeas to the mixing bowl
9) Add all the chopped vegetables except the cilantro
10) Add the spices, salt and pepper
11) Add Olive oil and Lemon juice.
12) Mix together gently
13) Let sit covered for 30-60 minutes to marinate if you can.
14) Transfer to your serving bowl if different from the mixing bowl
15) Add chopped cilantro leaves onto the top of salad for garnish
16) Serve and enjoy!
Be sure to check out herbologieteas.com to get these products! Don’t forget to follow on Facebook @herbologieteas or Instagram and Twitter @Herbologietea.
To learn more about how you can get the Hawaii Seal of Quality on your products, get more information here: sealofquality.hawaii.gov