Brunch homemade with love
Nothing says “I love you” like a home-cooked meal, so why not treat mom to a homemade brunch this Mother’s Day? HI Now host Kanoe Gibson and Kainoa Carlson are in the kitchen ready to show you how to put together some breakfast favorites: Eggs Benedict and Breakfast Bruschetta!
If you want to try making these dishes for your mom at home, here’s a closer look at the featured recipes:
Recipe: Breakfast Bruschetta
1 stick of butter
1t. Vanilla or Almond Extract
1/2 cup sugar
Fruit (of your choice)
To make Rusk:
1) Preheat oven to 250 degrees
2) Soften 1 stick of butter
3) Add 1t. vanilla or almond extract
4) Place 1/2 cup sugar on plate
5) Cut baguette into thin slices and butter each side
6) Dip each side into sugar and lightly dust off
7) Bake about 1 hour or until bread is dry and light brown
8) Cover in air tight container overnight
To make Bruschetta:
1) Top rusk with vanilla yogurt and fruit
2) Zest lime over top
Recipe: Eggs Benedict:
1) Cook Canadian bacon in a skillet on medium to low heat, flipping on each side (about five minutes). Remove and let cool.
2) Make the Hollandaise sauce in a blender (see directions below)
3) Heat 2 to 3 inches of water in large saucepan to boiling. Adjust heat to keep liquid simmering.
4) Break eggs (one at a time) into a dish, holding it close to the surface, and slip each egg into the water.
5) Cook eggs until the whites are set and the yolks begin to thicken (this will take about 3 to 5 minutes). Lift eggs with a slotted spoon and drain in the spoon on paper towels.
6) To assemble the Eggs Benedict, top English muffin with one slice of Canadian bacon. Place a poached egg on top and pour over with hollandaise sauce. Enjoy!
To make Hollandaise sauce:
Egg Yolks – 3 eggs
Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon
Dijon – 1 teaspoon
Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Cayenne Pepper – just a pinch
Butter- 1/2 cup of melted butter
1) Melt the butter in a microwave for about 1 minute until hot.
2) Combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, dijon, salt and cayenne pepper into a high powered blender and blend for 5 seconds.
3) Slowly stream in the hot butter into the mixture as the blender is running.
4) Pour the sauce into a small bowl and drizzle over your meal!