Members get special offers on healthy baby food products
Sponsored by HMAA
Hawaii Medical Assurance Association (HMAA) is all about providing wellness and benefits for its members – especially moms! It’s always a challenge to make healthy snacks for our children, so in today’s Mommy Moments, Healthy Baby Hawaii is in the HI Now kitchen with some easy snack recipes that will keep the keiki happy and healthy.
Healthy Baby Hawaii has partnered with HMAA’s Member Plus Discount Program to provide members with special offers on its healthy baby food products, which are made from fresh, local ingredients.
Experts say that the first 1,000 days of a babies life are the most important, and nutrition in these critical two years plays a major role. Keiki who are under nourished may have developmental problems, stunted growth or failure to thrive. On the other end, babies who are over-fed unhealthy foods can lead to diabetes, obesity and life long health problems. Nutrition affects brain function, IQ, the immune system and really every part of the human body. What you feed to your children in the first 1,000 days can set the tone for their future eating habits.
Remember, you keiki are always watching what you do. Set a good example and eat your veggies too!
Recipe: Zucchini Fritters
1) Grate entire zucchini (you can sub carrot or squash)
2) Wring out the moisture from the zucchini
3) Add two eggs and 1/4 cup flour of choice. (This recipes uses brown rice.)
4) Mix together
5) Heat 1 TB coconut oil on medium heat
6) Spoon out batter into medallions and cook on either side for approx 1 minute. Serve with a side of Greek yogurt dipping sauce
Recipe: Roasted Squash & Beet Baby Food:
1) Wash and peel beets, then chop into cubes
2) Place in boiling water and boil until soft
3) Drain and let cool
4) Half squash and place cut side down on baking sheet. Add two tablespoons of water or coconut oil to baking sheet
5) Roast at 425 degrees for 45 minutes
6) Let cool
7) Spoon squash into blender and puree (adding liquid water or breast milk for desired constancy). Fill jars or ice cube trays half way.
8) Add beets to blender, puree to desired consistency. Place on top of the squash until fill line
Note: Purees are good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and in the freezer for up to a month.
For more information: hmaa.com,or on Facebook and Instagram: @HMAAWellness