Sponsored by Vacations Hawaii and the California Hotel and Casino
Eat, drink, and be rowdy! Las Vegas Week continues at the Tournament of Kings, Las Vegas’ ultimate dinner and show experience at the Excalibur Hotel and Casino. HI Now host Kanoe Gibson donned her chainmail and went backstage to learn how to sword fight with knights from the show.
Tournament of Kings is an epic portrayal of centuries past, and it’s all in the name of honor, country, and of course, food. Adapted from the tale of King Arthur, this live-action production takes place in a 900-seat theater-in-the-round arena and immerses the audience in a tale of valor and treachery. Valiant knights ride mighty steeds and prove their chivalry amongst special effects and pyrotechnics. While knights fight, guests feast on a hearty three-course meal using the original utensil – their hands!
Tournament of Kings Fun Facts:
– It requires 36 staff members to run the show which includes cast, stable staff, and managers.
– There are 22 horses in the Tournament of Kings stable.
– 10 horses are used in the Tournament of Kings show.
– Excalibur is the No. 1 purchaser of Cornish game hens in the United States. Since June 1990, approximately 6,700,000 hens have been served.
– Tournament of Kings has become the setting for several dozen marriage proposals each year. All of the maidens have said yes to the gallant knights – that is, all except one.
– Approximately 4,100 lance tips are shattered each year.
– The soil used in the arena is mixed with synthetic fibers to create a better cushion. This is important because many of the show’s stunt falls are done off of the horses.
– The swords used in the performance are titanium and create sparks during battle sequences.
– The Tournament of Kings uses 10-12 tons of wood shavings monthly in the horses’ stables.
– As a group, all of its horses eat 125 tons of hay annually.
– The core team producing Tournament of Kings have been with the show since its opening in 1999. They were all also involved with the original King Arthur’s Tournament, which opened at the Excalibur in 1990.
For more information: excalibur.com/en/entertainment/tournament-of-kings.html, or @ExcaliburVegas on Twitter and Instagram