Break out the grill for this sweet treat!
Summer is for grilling and because of that Fourth of July cookouts have become a holiday tradition enjoyed by families across the country. Everyone has their favorite grilled veggie recipe or their own secret marinade, but HI Now hosts Kanoe Gibson and Kainoa Carlson are going straight to dessert with a special recipe for grilled pineapple! The secret ingredients that make this dessert such a crowd-pleaser? Rum and ice cream.
Recipe: Rum-Soaked Grilled Pineapple
1/2 cup dark rum
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (plus extra for dusting)
1 pineapple, cored and cut into about 6-8 rings (choose desired thickness)
Vanilla ice cream
1) Remove skin from pineapple and slice into rings.
2) In a small bowl, mix together rum, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
3) In a glass baking dish, lay out pineapple rings and pour in the rum mixture. Toss to coat, then let soak for 15 minutes, flipping the pineapple midway through.
4) When you are ready to cook the pineapple, strain out the extra rum sauce from the pan of pineapple and transfer it to a small saucepan. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 6-8 minutes, or until reduced by half. Set aside.
5) While the sauce is cooking, heat a grill or saute pan over medium-high heat until hot. Lightly grease the pan with cooking spray. Add pineapple slices and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until grill marks appear.
6) Transfer to a serving plates, and set aside. Repeat with remaining pineapple.
7) Top each pineapple ring with a scoop of ice cream and drizzle with rum sauce.
If you like, you can also lightly dust the pineapple with some extra cinnamon. Serve and enjoy!