Eat Local Recipe Contest
We asked our HI Now viewers to submit their favorite recipes using local ingredients. Priscilla Carbajal sent in her recipe for Salsa Verde Tacos and came into the HI Now kitchen to show us how it’s made.
RECIPE: “SALSA VERDE TACOS, Chicken & Vegetarian Option”
- Tomatillos: 1-2 lbs
- Onion, diced: ¼ cup
- Amaranth, mixed variety: 2 cups
- Papalo or Cilantro: ¼ cup
- Garlic: 4 cloves
- Cumin seeds: ¼ tsp
- Salt: ½ tsp
- Pepper, per preference
- Olive oil, 4 T (for sautéing tomatillos, etc. & for cooking tortillas)
- Chicken (shredded or diced), cooked: 2-3cups
- Corn tortillas: 1 pack
- Queso Fresco or Cotija cheese: 1 pack
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Cut tomatillos into quarters & add them with onions to oil.
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic or use a garlic press & add to tomatillo/onion mixture.
- Add ¼ teaspoon cumin seed, salt, & pepper
- Sauté mixture until tomatillos change in color from bright green to darker green & onions are translucent, about 5-10 minutes
- Using a blender or food chopper, pulse tomatillo mixture w/papalo (or cilantro) into a chunky puree. Set aside until needed.
Tacos & Filling:
- Heat remaining oil in a shallow pan and fry corn tortillas while shaping into ‘taco’ shape by folding in half. Cook each side 1-2min. Drain onto a paper towel.
- Heat shredded chicken until warm. Set aside until needed.
- Using the remaining oil from tacos, sauté Amaranth
- Add 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Sauté Amaranth mixture about 5 min.
- Fill taco shells with chicken or amaranth or both, depending on your preference.
- Top with Tomatillo salsa & Queso Fresco or Cotija cheese.