Add a touch of Hawaii to your next steak dinner
Sponsored by Hawaii Department of Agriculture
Rib eye steak for dinner? Yes, please! Now you can elevate your next steak dinner with a guava teriyaki glaze. HI Now host Jobeth Devera is in the kitchen with our next Eat Local Recipe Contest winner Marcella Duarte! She’s cooking up a Big Island grass fed Spencer Rib Eye with a Guava Teriyaki Glaze, and she won’t stop there! She will also be preparing a side dish: Fried ulu and local organic greens with local papaya, Meadow Gold cottage cheese, and papaya seed dressing.
Originally from Kona on Hawaii Island, Marcella now lives in Mililani and takes care of her grandson. She often uses local ingredients when she cooks and always finds herself reaching for Kamuela Tomatoes and Maui onions.
Entree: Big Island grass fed Spencer Rib Eye with a Guava Teriyaki Glaze
Side dish: Fried ulu and local organic greens with local papaya, Meadow Gold cottage cheese, papaya seed dressing
Ingredients for Guava Teriyaki Glaze:
1/2 cup Aloha Shoyu Guava/Pineapple Teriyaki Glaze
4 cloves fresh garlic smashed Thumb size fresh Ginger rough chop
1/4 cup Lehua honey
1/4 cup POG juice
1 tsp sriracha
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp white sesame seeds
1) Put all ingredients in a small saucepan and reduce to a syrup on medium heat
2) Brush over two grilled Big Island grass fed Spencer Rib Eye Steaks
Cooking Instructions for fried ulu side:
1) Steam four quartered ulu pieces for twenty five minutes, lightly salt with Hawaiian Salt
2) Using ulu flour, flour each side then pan fry in macadamia nut oil on medium heat until golden brown on each side
3) Arrange greens, add quartered Kamuela tomatoes, cut local papaya and cottage cheese and add on top
Show us how you Eat Local! Submit your favorite recipe using local ingredients and snap a photo of the finished dish. Winners will be featured preparing their recipe on TV!
Click here to enter: hine.ws/eatlocal
For more information: hdoa.hawaii.gov