First Eat Local Contest Winner cooks up Curry Opah with rice and green beans
We asked our Hawaii Now viewers to submit their favorite recipes using local ingredients. Broderic Allen created a Curry Opah with rice and green beans and he become the first Eat Local contest winner! He came by the Hawaii Now kitchen to whip up the dish and give us a taste.
Ingredients: local ginger, local yellow onion, local sweet peppers, local lemongrass, garlic cloves, olive oil, local tomato, made in Hawaii garam masala, coconut milk, Hawaiian sea salt, black pepper, local opah filet, local green beans, local lemons, turmeric, local cilantro, brown rice (optional)
- Start the brown rice and set to back burner to cook slowly
- Take tomatoes and slice in big chunks
- In a large simmering pot, add tomato chunks and 1.5 cup water to pot on med-low heat and cover
- Take 3/4 sliced onion, 4 deseeded and sliced peppers, 3 garlic cloves, 2 sliced shoots of lemongrass, 2 tbsp of sliced ginger, 1.5 tbsp turmeric, 1/4 cup olive oil and blend/emulsify into a creamy texture then set aside
- Once tomatoes are soft and water is a red color, add the turmeric mixture, garam masala, and salt/pepper to taste
- Let simmer covered on medium heat for 10 min.
- Take fish and lightly season with salt and pepper on both sides
- In a sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on high until smoking
- Carefully place fish filet in hot pan and slide it in the olive oil as to not let the fish stick
- After two minutes, flip the filet, lower heat to medium, and cover for 3-4 minutes then remove fish from pan
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to pan and return it to high heat
- Once smoking again, add green beans, toss with salt/pepper and lemon juice
- Plating instructions: Place sauce on plate. Fill ¼ measuring cup with rice to mold into a mound shape and carefully set on plate. Add the fish to the plate parallel to the rice. Carefully place green beans vertically atop the rice and garnish with extra lemon slice. Place a light drizzle of curry sauce in the middle of the fish without covering all of the crust. Garnish with a cilantro sprig. Enjoy!
Enter our Eat Local Recipe Contest: http://hine.ws/eatlocal
For more information: hdoa.hawaii.gov