In 1890, in response to an unusually high infant mortality rate in Hawaii, Queen Kapiolani founded the Kapiolani Maternity Home to care for Hawaii’s mothers and babies. The hospital later merged with Kauikeolani Children’s Hospital in 1978 to become Kapiolani. The legacy of care that began more than a century ago continues today, as Kapiolani remains dedicated to providing Hawaii’s families with the very best medical care available.
Kapiolani is a nationally recognized, not-for-profit hospital and is widely known as Hawaii’s leader in the care of women, infants and children. With more than 1,500 employees and 630 physicians, Kapiolani is fully accredited by The Joint Commission, an independent nonprofit organization that certifies health care organizations and programs in the United States.
Specialty services provided for patients throughout Hawaii and the Pacific Region include:
- Intensive care for infants and children
- 24-hour emergency pediatric care
- Air transport
- Maternal-fetal medicine
- High-risk perinatal care
- Women’s health services, including the Kapiolani Women’s Center and Kapiolani Women’s Cancer Center
As a teaching hospital, Kapiolani is at the forefront of vital medical education and community health outreach programs. The hospital also participates in critical research and the development of new treatments in prenatal, neonatal, children’s and women’s medicine. It is a major teaching hospital for the John A. Burns School of Medicine at the University of Hawaii, and has assisted in training many of Hawaii’s pediatric, obstetric and gynecologic doctors, nurses and allied health professionals.
To find out more information, please visit www.hawaiipacifichealth.org/kapiolani.