A meatless treat that will make your mouth water!
Sponsored by Hawaii State FCU
If you’re having trouble deciding what to make for dinner, or you’re looking for an inexpensive and tasty recipe, HI Now has a solution! Hawaii State FCU is back with another easy-to-make recipe from its Bites on a Budget video series, which provides how-to instructions to make simple, delicious meals and snacks that won’t break your wallet.
Today’s recipe is a meatless treat that will make your mouth water – Firecracker Tofu!
1 Pack Extra Firm Tofu
1/3 cup Cornstarch
1 Tbl Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Mayo
2 Tbl Milk
1/4 cup Oil
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Franks Red Hot
2 Tbl Butter
1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbl Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1) Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
2) Place cornstarch in a medium bowl and in another medium bowl mix together mayo and milk.
3) Toss tofu in cornstarch and then toss in mayo mixture. Place coated tofu on a clean plate.
4) Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Once the oil is hot, add the battered tofu pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes each side. Remove from pan and place in prepared baking sheet.
5) Preheat oven to 350°.
6) To Prepare Sauce: In a small saucepan add brown sugar, Franks Red Hot, butter and soy sauce. Stir until butter is melted and brown sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, apple cider vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes.
7) Pour sauce mixture over the tofu on baking sheet. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, flip and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!
Like what you saw? Visit hawaiistatefcu.com/blog, which will take you to their Wallet Wisdom site, where you can find more wallet-friendly recipes, financial tips, credit union information and more!
In addition to all of this great food and financial content, the credit union is also restarting their popular financial education seminars in a new online format later this month. For more information on upcoming seminars, topics and how to register for free, visit hawaiistatefcu.com.