Sponsored by Hawaii Gas
He’s been in the HI Now kitchen before, but this time aspiring chef Hunter Gentry is back home in Hawaii after graduating from the Culinary Institute of America. Today he’ll be impressing hosts Kanoe Gibson and Kainoa Carlson with not one, but three different dishes! Get ready to see how he’s cooking up duck three ways.
2 whole ducks
2 qt brown duck stock
4 bok choy
1 lb Brussel sprouts
8 oz brown clamshell mushrooms
2 oz mint
2 oz basil
2 oz paprika
2 oz mustard powder
2 oz onion powder
2 oz garlic powder
1/2 oz cayenne
4 T brown sugar
6 T ketchup
8 oz parsley
8 oz green onion
4 oz button mushrooms
12 garlic cloves
1) Break down the ducks into breasts, legs, and wings. Brown the carcass in a 500 F oven and place in water for 12 hours to make stock with vegetable trimmings.
2) Sear duck legs golden brown and place in hotel pan. Thinly slice mushrooms, onions, crushed garlic cloves, minced parsley and green onion into a hotel pan with 1 quart duck stock. Braise duck legs for 3 hours or until fork tender in a 350 F.
3) Mix the paprika, garlic and onion powder, cayenne, and mustard powder for the blackened seasoning.
4) Place the ketchup, brown sugar, half of the blackened spice, 2 oz duck stock and slowly simmer for 30 minutes for the bbq sauce.
5) Quarter the bok choy, cut the Brussels sprouts in half, and take off the core of the clamshell mushrooms for individual mushrooms. Mince basil and mint
6) Roast the duck wings, Brussels sprouts with garlic cloves seasoned with parsley and green onion and salt, dressed with olive oil in a 350F oven for 30 minutes. Check the duck wings at a Temp of 150F and carryover cooking to finish.
7) Season the duck breast skin with salt and place in a cold pan skin side down to render fat till crispy. Bring up to a medium heat. Season the back side with the remaining blackened spice. When it is crispy, turn the duck over and cook for 2 to 4 minutes until 140F internal temp.
8) Sauté the bok choy and mushrooms in the duck fat, season with salt, mint and basil.
9. Dress wings with bbq sauce, and plate with all vegetables and duck. Garnish with green onion